WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, U.S. Senator Jacky Rosen announced her co-sponsorship of the Greater Leadership Overseas for the Benefit of Equality (GLOBE) Act, legislation introduced by Senators Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH), Ed Markey (D-MA), and Jeff Merkley (D-OR). The legislation would ensure LGBTQ rights are prioritized in U.S. foreign policy; affirm that discrimination, hatred and violence against LGBTQ individuals will not be tolerated by the United States; and assert that the United States government will treat LGBTQ rights as human rights throughout its foreign policy, development assistance and immigration programs. The bill would also establish a permanent Special Envoy for the Human Rights of LGBTQI Persons at the State Department.
“It is critical that the United States restore its global leadership role as a defender of LGBTQ human rights,” dijo el Senador Rosen. “I am proud to co-sponsor this legislation which would prioritize the protection of LGBTQ rights as a U.S. foreign policy objective. This important step would send a clear signal to the rest of the world that the U.S. will defend the rights of LGBTQ individuals to live, love, and express themselves freely. I will continue to support measures that ensure equality and justice for all individuals.”
BACKGROUND: Specifically, the GLOBE Act would:
- Codify the State Department Special Envoy for the Human Rights of LGBTQI Persons in law;
- Require the State Department to document human rights abuses and discrimination against LGBTQ individuals around the world;
- Restrict entry into the United States for foreign individuals responsible for abuse and murder of LGBTQ populations;
- Ensure fair access to asylum and refugee programs for LGBTQ individuals;
- Require engagement with international organizations, including the United Nations and the World Bank, to protect international LGBTQ rights; and
- Protect the rights of U.S. LGBTQ citizens serving their countries overseas at diplomatic and consular posts.